Saturday, September 4, 2010

Friday, the end of week one... or is it?

The week or 3 days has flown by. I have had a migraine and classes are going full swing. Cody is making a good effort and dare I say it but I think we are seeing the interest return.

Science has presented me with 5 Experiments it wanted done by the end of the month. In an effort to save my sanity later I set my own due dates and spread them out over the Unit.

Experiment One: Anacharis Photosynthesis is due first. Monday to be exact (my idea). We set up today after going to the Fish store for our Anacharis (Elodea).
The experiment is basically 2 test tubes with 3" sprigs of Anacharis filled with water (as little air as possible) upside down in cup/jars of water. One is stored in the dark, while the other is stored under constant light.
The light one should show signs of photosynthesis:  more air in the tube, tiny air bubles, etc. after 24 hours.

Here is the set up:

Ana wants to learn also.

Two identicle, almost, setups
This is the Light one

and this is the Dark one,
going in the kitchen cabinet.
And this is then about 11 hours later:

The light one has a bunch of little bubbles forming

While the one in the dark has only its original bubble
we couldn't get rid of.

We will finish observing around 1:20 pm tomorrow (saturday), and then there is a report and drawings to do.  The Science Project will move on to my Cousin Amber's house for a demo with her family.

On a side note, a byproduct of visiting the FISH store without cash, Meet Shark:
Turns out you have to spend atleast $5 to use a card... Shark was almost $5 by him/her self. The upside is Shark can be used later during our Experiment: Response.

Visit Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers to read more Weekly Wrap-ups.

2 comments:

  1. Great science experiment! I love it. We have done salt dough maps as well, but I prefer the cookie dough for several reasons. With salt dough maps you keep them for a while and then throw them away. Or else you feel too guilty to thrown them away and keep them far too long. The cookie dough maps you make, then eat. They are a bit harder to do detailed decorating on though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great experiment!! I can definitely sympathize with the migraine deal! But, kids are resilient and mine seem to be learning despite my headaches. Isn't Science wonderful?!

    ReplyDelete